Job Title: General Administration and Finance Officer (Maternity Cover) - 6 months Fixed Term Contract with a potential extension to 12 months subject to circumstances and available finance.
Job Location: Belfast
Job purpose: To support the Director and Senior Management to develop the organisation, to maintain efficient operations and ensure compliance with company policies.
Salary: NJC Scale 2 Point 4 £18,426 as of April 2019 (based on 37-hour week)
Hours: 37 hours - Full Time between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Friday.
Interview date: 26/03/20
Starting date: 06/04/20
Detail of Duties and Responsibilities
Bookkeeping, Payroll, Pension and Financial Administration
• Record invoices for approved purchases and approved expense claims in a manual or online system and process through to the bank for authorisation in line with Shelters Financial Systems
• Administer the Payroll system and record the amounts in the data systems and onward through to the bank for authorisation
• Ensure the auto enrol pension process is maintained for participating staff
• Ensure that income from rent accounts and other funders is received
• Support local staff dealing with rent arrears in line with policy
• Provide staff with regular information regarding salary and service users with rent statements
• Record fundraising related income and thank individual donors
• Maintain a watching brief on the cashflow in the bank, on petty cash and on the Mastercard
• Support the annual audit requests for information
• Provide various system reports as required
• Liaise with the bank regarding any administration of accounts or authorisation
• Ensure that cash is banked as soon as possible
Human Resource and Corporate Support
• Prepare draft correspondence for the Director on staff related matters
• Support the recruitment process, advertising, shortlisting, interview panels
• Liaise and manage the email and Microsoft 365 systems and passwords
• Sort and allocate incoming paper and electronic mail
• Organize and file documents
• Handle incoming calls
• Supporting SMT, Fundraising Teams and other organisation wide activity
• Maintain a watching brief on telephone, IT, insurance, office leases and other contracts and liaise with the responsible officers in good time
Fundraising, Volunteers and Donor Care
• Assist in planning a calendar of appropriate fundraising activities to attract public interest and participation and raise funds
• Enable community fundraising initiatives through developing good relationships with volunteers and supporters
• Research and draft funding applications and seek out "pitches", create meetings or send emails to potential corporate donors/ companies looking for a designated charity of the year or who want to meet before donating
• Increase the scale of the donor/ volunteer/ supporter base across Northern Ireland through marketing/ social media- sharing and producing content
• Actively seek financial contributions and support from individuals and organisations.
• Promote and manage the collection box and other passive fundraising
• Assist in organising events and/or campaigns which complement the fundraising events calendar
• Assist the Director and the Organisation to achieve fundraising targets as set by the Management Committee
• Maintain an up to date donor/ volunteer/ supporter base database
• Assist the Director to manage and maintain volunteer support
• Volunteer engagement and supervision- recruiting for street collections and events, going to fresher's fairs, QUB student and EU students with collection box work
Campaign and Communication
• Develop communications materials to engage the public and interested parties in housing and homelessness issues, including through website content and social media
• Develop and manage website and social media-based content for Shelter NI campaigns and to raise Shelter NI’s profile
• Identify opportunities for maximising campaign reach and impact, in cooperation with the Director and wider team
• Organise and implement events such as street campaigning and public talks
• Effectively communicate the vision and direction for the campaigns with all key stakeholders
• Maintain good records: including logging of data for monitoring and evaluation, database management
• Respond to requests for information, advice from members of the public, other voluntary/community bodies and interested parties on the campaigns
• Liaise with the various media and Press, draft press statements and responses to consultations • Advice to drop ins and phone ins/ signposting if possible
• Letting Fees, advocacy, media engagement, legal aid/ support
New Project Development/ Support/ Monitoring
• Project planning: developing and updating Trusted Trader Scheme; Night Space; Homeshare
• Membership development; 40th Anniversary Programme
• Admin tasks for public bodies and funders: RHI, SLATE QMT, SP reaccreditation, submitting relevant documents to funding applications, reports for TTS funders etc
Governance and Administration
• Schedule the review of current policies and procedures, monitor the drafting of new policies and procedures
• Assist the Director with Shelter membership and Trustee applications, ensure that the Charity Commission NI and Companies House records are maintained
• Support the Management Committee and the Annual General Meeting administration, including Annual Trustee Report
• Draft MC papers/ other documents- tenders and progress reports
• Prepare reports and attend meetings of the Senior Management Team and identify activities to increase innovation and creativity to support the fundraising strategy.
• You will be provided with training relevant to the position
• You must adhere to Shelter Northern Ireland policies and procedures.
• You may be required to be flexible in your hours which may involve attendance outside the normal hours of business including during the working week and at weekends.
• You will work as part of a team and will be expected to be reliable and professional in all aspects of your performance and conduct.
• You will be expected to foster good relationships with all Shelter NI staff
Any other duties. The duties and responsibilities will vary from time to time. New requirements may emerge but will be similar in character to this list. Depending on circumstances, some essential tasks will be prioritised over other tasks.
To apply to this post please download both the Application Form and separate Equality Opportunities Monitoring Form from below.
Please note that CV will be not accepted.